Skyrim | Forum | High Resolution Texture Pack system requirements | Operation Reality ™ Gaming
RSS

High Resolution Texture Pack system requirements (10 posts)

Topic tags: comparison, graphics, high res, high resolution, pack, skyrim, texture, vram
  • Profile picture of Eric B Eric B said 2 years, 7 months ago:

So i asked this question in another thread but I don’t think it was the right thread to ask it in necessarily so I’m starting this new one which hopefully someone will notice.

I’m basically trying to find out if the skyrim high resolution texture pack is worth downloading for people who only have 512mb of graphics card vram memory? I have 6GB of system DDR2 RAM but the system requirements say 1GB vram required? Is that an absolute? Will it not work at all on 512mb and I would need to buy a new graphics card?

Also I wanted to know if it really makes that much of a difference visually without lagging? If anyone has any before and after comparison screenshots showing the difference between regular textures and the high resolution?

• Profile picture of Devon Black Devon Black said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I don’t have comparison pics but you can probably find some online. In terms of buying a graphics card for just this OF COURSE No it’s worth it, unless you needed a graphics card anyways .. :P

• Profile picture of Eric B Eric B said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Okay thanks I was only suggesting I didn’t think I would actually need it. I don’t really have the money anyways at the moment and the difference is not that massive in terms of gamplay as far as i can see. Sure the high res before and after looks way better but certainly not worth buying a new graphics for. I would need a whole new PC anyways so I’ll wait for now. I found these before and after pics online on r skyrim I figured i’d share for those who are interested. I don’t think they’re high res versus high default but vs. low so it’s more noticeable. My textures certainly don’t look as crap as the lows in these screenshots and I don’t have the High Res Texture DLC so.

Table – High | Low
    Ebony Armour – High | Low
    Ebony Shield – High | Low
    Adept Robes – High | Low
    DB Robes – High | Low
    Lydia Armour – High | Low
    Lydia Armour 2 – High | Low
    Alchemy – High | Low
    Table 2 High | Low

• Profile picture of Alex McMillan Alex McMillan said 2 years, 7 months ago:

How does the high res texture pack download compare against the fan created high res skyrim texture mods? Is it better quality then for example the 2k mod?

By the way, nice screenshots @ericb thanks for sharing, i see what you mean though some seem differences are totally not even noticeable. :(

• Profile picture of Blake Blake said 2 years, 7 months ago:

What.graphics card do you have Eric?

In terms of the texture quality though, personally I’d say there already are and will surely be even more fan made texture packs that are actually higher res and arguably nicer than hd free high res download pack being offered by Bethesda. Depends on who you ask though I suppose.

• Profile picture of Jonathan Jonathan said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Eric I definitely would not bother if I were you. As Blake says there are way better texture packs already out there and it might be pushing it for such a negligible difference on your graphics card.

Here are a few more comparison shots, the difference is really not that noticeable as you can see. Unless of course you must have the highest fabric textures on clothes as possible! ;) Honestly there have even been some reports of CTDs and other bugs with the texture pack on lower end GPU’s so you’re definitely not missing out. I’d pass if I were you.

Low ResHigh Res
    Low ResHigh Res
    Low ResHigh Res

• Profile picture of Francis Francis said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Anyone have a direct download link to the high resolution pack without having to go through Steam?

• Profile picture of Devon Black Devon Black said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@triggerfinger reloaded released the high res texture pack yesterday.

Sweet I must have missed that. Than you Devon.

I installed the official Bethesda HD textures pack the other day and so far honestly, I think the 2k Skyrim texture pack and a couple others I tried so far were actually better. More realistic. Maybe it’s just me or something is messed with my monitor?
    What do you guys think? What’s the best skyrim texture pack to install in your opinions? If anyone can recommend me one I haven’t tried yet that’s cool too.